Tutor Vista - TutorVista scam?

Dec 02, 2010
review #209656

TutorVista scam?

TutorVista offers quality online tutoring service for $100/month but they renew the subscription even if you don't use it until you cancel it yourself. This is what happened with me -

I reached TutorVista from google search engine. I was looking to clarify some concept in integration. I got good content there and then decided to talk to a tutor to get further help. After a sale pitch, the guy named 'Eric' offered me a free tutoring demo which was fine but I could get only one of my problems solved there. When I asked for more, they told me that I have to buy the subscription which I did for 49.99$ discounted price. They told me that it will get auto-renewed at $100 and that if I have to cancel it I have to cancel it before the subscription ends.

I used it for next 3 months, but after I finished my exams, I forgot to cancel the subscription (was too happy after exam ended).

Those guys charged me $100 dollars even if I stopped using it. I called them repeatedly and finally got only $50 dollars as refund.

I am very unhappy with this. I should have got refunded the whole amount since I did not use the service at all in that month.

This is scam. TutorVista is scam. Can somebody suggest any other quality tutoring service for my budget ($100)?

ac3eeaf
Had an experience with Tutor Vista?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Nikki

Feb 23, 2012

Type your question in chat window below.
[ 03:34:05 PM ] Guest : =)
[ 03:34:08 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Hello, I am your Academic Counselor and will help you.
[ 03:34:19 PM ] Acad Coordinator : May I please know your name?.
[ 03:34:38 PM ] Guest : My Name Is Lila,Im in 8th grade and..
[ 03:34:42 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Which grade and subject are you looking for help in?
[ 03:34:49 PM ] Acad Coordinator : ?
[ 03:34:55 PM ] Guest : I have a question..
[ 03:35:11 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Sure
[ 03:35:19 PM ] : Feel free to ask..
[ 03:35:23 PM ] Guest : Are You Guys FREE?
[ 03:35:37 PM ] Acad Coordinator : No. But you will be happy to know that we are the most affordable tutoring service in US, UK and Canada.
[ 03:35:48 PM ] : We are the most affordable..
[ 03:35:57 PM ] Guest : May i ask your name?
[ 03:36:10 PM ] Acad Coordinator : This is Alisha here
[ 03:36:19 PM ] : May I know which SUBJECT do you need help with?
[ 03:36:21 PM ] Guest : ok
[ 03:36:27 PM ] : Well..
[ 03:36:42 PM ] Acad Coordinator : ?
[ 03:37:09 PM ] : Please let me know if you have any concern..
[ 03:37:22 PM ] Guest : I dont need help now but when i get the chance i will be sure to ask my mom and dad can i join this program..
[ 03:37:32 PM ] : How Much is it?
[ 03:37:39 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Let me explain.

Elvis thomas

May 21, 2011

No, this is not at all a scam.

Marii

Feb 19, 2011

THEY LIE WHEN THEY SAY ITS UNLIMITED TUTORING !! LOOK: ( 2 Users )
Marii Aguila
Relationship Executive

Welcome to TutorVista. Please type your question in the chat window below. A customer service representative will join you shortly.
Relationship Executive says: 06:59:28 PM

Welcome to TutorVista Customer Care
06:59:29 PM
My name is Tilak.
06:59:30 PM
I am here to help you.
06:59:51 PM
I will be glad to assist you.
Marii Aguila says: 07:00:05 PM

Hello. I am Marii's mother and I am frusterated with your service. I've been her yesterday atleast 4 times and today 3 times. There has been many problems with my daughter and her tutors.
Relationship Executive says: 07:00:19 PM

We apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.
07:00:34 PM
May i know how i can help you the best?
Marii Aguila says: 07:00:48 PM

Now, when she goes to take a session it tells her that there are no tutors available. Well Im sorry but I paid for unlimited 24/7 service?... Show more

olivia

Feb 18, 2011

okay when i first singned up for tutor vista i thought it was a scam.
when you sign up they always say its one day only and its 49.99 or something for the first month. you have to say you dont have enough money and they will give you a discount price of 34.99 wonce you sign it its aculy help full and does your hw for you. when your sick if on break from school you can pause the subscription. when your month is almost done about 3 days b4 cancel your credit card so you dont get future charges and you ca still do it for the next three days. if you liked the sevice and think 35.99 is a fair price cancel your acount go back o the website say your to poor and sign up agan i have been doing this for months and im in 8th grade and is helped :roll

Fishyperson

Feb 17, 2011

TutorVista will, if you use profanity, threaten to track you down.

Type your question in chat window below.
[ 07:26:30 PM ] Acad Coordinator : May I have your name and grade please?
[ 07:26:32 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Hello
[ 07:26:34 PM ] Acad Coordinator : I am your Academic Counselor for today.
[ 07:26:38 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Let me know your grade and subject to help you better.
[ 07:26:39 PM ] Guest : What's your name?
[ 07:26:41 PM ] Acad Coordinator : We will surely help you.
[ 07:26:53 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Hello My name is Davis
[ 07:27:01 PM ] Guest : Really? Kayla was the last one.
[ 07:27:18 PM ] Acad Coordinator : I'm your Academic Counselor for the day.
[ 07:27:29 PM ] : How may i help you?
[ 07:27:33 PM ] Guest : Can you tell me what the value is in paying $99 a month to have you teach me things I can learn for free?
[ 07:28:06 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Do you know how our service works?
[ 07:28:14 PM ] Guest : yes
[ 07:28:18 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Great.
[ 07:28:31 PM ] : Since you know how our service works..
[ 07:28:52 PM ] : You can enroll for 1 month unlimited help for just $49.99
[ 07:29:00 PM ] Guest : why? Learning is free.
[ 07:29:08 PM ] : Hundreds of sites will have the answer for nothing.
[ 07:29:15 PM ] : Libraries have even more answers.
[ 07:29:40 PM ] Acad

hubbabubba101

Feb 17, 2011

it is a scam they took me off chatting and to the checkout page what up with that and I argued he told me he has to keep his patience but he didn't I told Richard that I would never pay and he took me to the checkout page what a scam

hubbabubba

Call Us : 1-866-617-6020
[ 05:58:02 PM ] Guest : what is a cylinder
[ 05:58:13 PM ] : anyone there???
[ 05:58:13 PM ] Tutor : Sure, we will help you with the question.
[ 05:58:16 PM ] Guest : ok
[ 05:58:27 PM ] Tutor : yes
[ 05:58:51 PM ] Guest : hello???
[ 05:59:03 PM ] Tutor : Formula for volume of the cylinder (v) = π r2 h cubic units V=volume of cylinder r=radius h=height
[ 05:59:24 PM ] Guest : ok
[ 05:59:53 PM ] Tutor : A circular cylinder is one of the most basic geometric shapes, the surface formed by the points which are lies at fixed distance from a given Straight line. A line is formed by these points called as axis of cylinder. The material around this surface and by two planes perpendicular to the axis (connecting two points) is called a cylinder.
[ 06:00:07 PM ] Guest : ok thank you
[ 06:00:21 PM ] : is that all
[ 06:00:44 PM ] Tutor : yes
[ 06:01:07 PM ] : Our Academic Counselor will be joining this chat to help you further.
[ 06:01:23 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Hello, my name is Richard.
[ 06:01:27 PM ] : I'm your Academic Counselor for the day.
[ 06:01:31 PM ] Guest : hello Richard
[ 06:01:46 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Hello
[ 06:01:51 PM ] : Nice to meet you online
[ 06:01:57 PM ] Guest : you too
[ 06:01:59 PM ] Acad Coordinator : May i have your

Cybertech44

Feb 16, 2011

Yeah just like the above chat logs, you can tell they are scamming you, they keep talking about money and deals to keep you in or to comvince to enroll, that all their worry is, plus they give you wrong equations, keep trying to be nice to you and everything.

Here is my log from this chat i was just in a few minutes ago:

[ 08:28:09 PM ] Guest : yes [Searched for: how to do simple division on paper]
[ 08:28:11 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Hello
[ 08:28:13 PM ] Acad Coordinator : I am your Academic Counselor for today.
[ 08:28:17 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Let me know your grade and subject to help you better.
[ 08:28:21 PM ] Acad Coordinator : We will help you with homework problems, assignment questions, projects and exam review.
[ 08:28:27 PM ] Acad Coordinator : We offer unlimited, 24X7, personalized online tutoring in Math, English and Science.
[ 08:28:35 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Sessions are available instantly and are absolutely unlimited.
[ 08:28:43 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Please respond on Chat to get Instant help on homework and assignments.
[ 08:28:48 PM ] Guest : Ok
[ 08:28:50 PM ] Acad Coordinator : We will surely help you.
[ 08:28:59 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Hello
[ 08:29:02 PM ] : this is Balki
[ 08:29:06 PM ] : I'm your Academic Counselor for the day.
[ 08:29:10 PM ] Guest

Lisa

Feb 15, 2011

[ 12:23:34 AM ] Guest : yes [Searched for: frequency of a quantum of radiation]
[ 12:23:47 AM ] Acad Coordinator : Hi. I'm Crystal, your Academic Counselor for the day.
[ 12:23:54 AM ] : We will surely help you.
[ 12:23:58 AM ] : Let me know your grade and subject to help you better.
[ 12:24:06 AM ] Guest : 11 Chemistry
[ 12:24:19 AM ] Acad Coordinator : Okay
[ 12:24:22 AM ] : Not to worry, you are at the right place
[ 12:24:25 AM ] : Have you experienced the benefits of online tutoring earlier?
[ 12:24:46 AM ] Guest : no, but don't give me a sales pitch. i need help with my home work
[ 12:26:39 AM ] : the question is "Calculate the frequency of a quantum of radiation with a wavelength of 4.5*10^2 nanometers". please help.
[ 12:27:39 AM ] Acad Coordinator : Once you Sign Up woth us, you will get as much as help you need with us.
[ 12:27:49 AM ] : We have HUGE discounts on this chat now.
[ 12:27:50 AM ] Guest : why can't you help me now?
[ 12:28:28 AM ] Acad Coordinator : I wish I could give you a free session, however, our tutors are engaged with the regular sessions due to larger number of regular students logged on.
[ 12:28:30 AM ] : As
[ 12:28:33 AM ] : We give priority to regular student sessions. You can get all the help you need in regular sessions.
[ 12:29:05 AM ] Guest : if you

HSstudent6

Feb 14, 2011

[ 11:01:19 PM ] Guest : yes [Searched for: teaching moles]
[ 11:01:26 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Hello, My name is Ricky. I am your Academic Counselor for the day.
[ 11:01:35 PM ] : May I know your grade and subject you need help with?
[ 11:01:37 PM ] Guest : hello
[ 11:01:44 PM ] : chemistry, moles
[ 11:01:58 PM ] Acad Coordinator : We will surely help you in Chemistry.
[ 11:02:08 PM ] : May I know the Grade in which you are studying in ?
[ 11:02:23 PM ] Guest : general chemistry, sophomore
[ 11:02:43 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Are you in school or college?
[ 11:02:53 PM ] Guest : high school
[ 11:03:08 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Thanks.
[ 11:03:17 PM ] : Are you working on your home work or preparing for an upcoming test?
[ 11:03:34 PM ] Guest : i have a conceptual quiz tomorrow on what a mole is and i dont remember anything
[ 11:03:51 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Let me assure you that you have come to the right place.
[ 11:04:07 PM ] : At Tutor vista You will get all the help that you need for the Quiz preparation.
[ 11:04:17 PM ] : We have more than 2000 well qualified tutors available round the clock.
[ 11:04:23 PM ] : You can study from the comfort of your home and flexible timings.
[ 11:04:29 PM ] : Sounds good?
[ 11:04:29 PM ] Guest : cool
[ 11:04:31 PM ] : yes

Sean

Feb 13, 2011

Tutorvista helped me a lot..I was struggling in Math and I went to tutorvista by Google and I made a Subscription with tutorvista and the tutors helped me a lot and I improved my Grades..tutorvista is Great :)

john

Feb 13, 2011

Type your question in chat window below.
[ 01:07:46 PM ] Guest : What is square root of -1?
[ 01:07:54 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Hello
[ 01:07:56 PM ] Guest : Hello
[ 01:07:59 PM ] Acad Coordinator : My name is Neo
[ 01:08:03 PM ] Guest : do u know what square root of -1 is
[ 01:09:04 PM ] Acad Coordinator : I'm your Academic Counselor for the day.
[ 01:09:15 PM ] : Let me know your grade and subject to help you better.
[ 01:09:56 PM ] Guest : pre calculus 11
[ 01:10:20 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Nice to have you online
[ 01:10:28 PM ] : Are you working on your homework? Or are you working on an assignment?
[ 01:12:01 PM ] Guest : homework
[ 01:12:27 PM ] Acad Coordinator : We will surely help you.
[ 01:12:40 PM ] : Let me share a sample session on the board
[ 01:12:48 PM ] : Do you see the document that I have shared on the whiteboard?
[ 01:13:08 PM ] Guest : yes its hard to read because its black my eyes hurt
[ 01:13:31 PM ] Acad Coordinator : This is a sample session of how our tutors will be working with your questions on the whiteboard
[ 01:14:08 PM ] : Let me explain the benefits of our online tutoring.
[ 01:14:21 PM ] : We provide personalized tutoring in Math (Algebra, Calculus, Statistics, etc.), English and Science (Physics, Chemistry and Biology).
[ 01:14:30 PM ] : You can take any number of sessions in a

Cassie

Feb 07, 2011

This guy was so unhelpful and underhanded, and when I got my 'ten minute session' he gave me the wrong equation. Anybody notice they don't use proper English, even though they offer tutoring in it?

Type your question in chat window below.
[ 09:18:14 PM ] Acad Coordinator : May I have your name and grade please?
[ 09:18:33 PM ] Guest : Cassie watters, 11th grade
[ 09:18:45 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Hello Cassie
[ 09:18:48 PM ] : My name is Afzal, I am your Academic Counselor for the day..
[ 09:18:57 PM ] Guest : Awesome
[ 09:19:01 PM ] Acad Coordinator : We will surely help you with Math
[ 09:19:09 PM ] Guest : Physics?
[ 09:19:24 PM ] Acad Coordinator : We offer unlimited, 24X7, personalized online tutoring in Math, English and Science
[ 09:19:38 PM ] : We will surely help you with Physics
[ 09:19:42 PM ] : Are you looking for Homework help or test preparations?
[ 09:19:48 PM ] Guest : Homework help
[ 09:20:02 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Not to worry about your homework or assignment problems anymore, we will help you with that on daily basis.
[ 09:20:05 PM ] : Do you know how our service works?.
[ 09:20:08 PM ] Guest : No
[ 09:20:41 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Let me Quickly explain how our service works
[ 09:20:41 PM ] : And how our tutors will be able to help you in the regular sessions
[ 09:20:41 PM ] : Is it okay with

I don't know

Feb 03, 2011

[ 06:01:31 PM ] Guest : hi
[ 06:01:37 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Hello,
[ 06:01:37 PM ] : My name is Davis I am your Academic Counselor .
[ 06:01:38 PM ] : May i know your name and grade Please?
[ 06:01:44 PM ] : Hello
[ 06:02:01 PM ] Guest : 9th math
[ 06:02:03 PM ] Acad Coordinator : How are you doing today?
[ 06:02:10 PM ] Guest : great
[ 06:02:16 PM ] Acad Coordinator : We will surely help you with Math
[ 06:02:18 PM ] : Are you preparing for an upcoming test or assignment?
[ 06:02:27 PM ] Guest : test
[ 06:02:45 PM ] Acad Coordinator : You can start right away
[ 06:02:51 PM ] : We have all your Topics
[ 06:02:55 PM ] : Before getting started Do you know how this program works?
[ 06:03:10 PM ] Guest : yes i know
[ 06:03:19 PM ] Acad Coordinator : That is good as you already know
[ 06:03:27 PM ] : You can take unlimited help 24/7 in Maths Science and English and start right away
[ 06:03:31 PM ] : When is the Test?
[ 06:04:04 PM ] Guest : in two days
[ 06:04:10 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Can I chat with your Parents and explain more about our online tutoring?
[ 06:04:19 PM ] : So we an start with LIVE sessions
[ 06:04:28 PM ] Guest : there watching
[ 06:04:32 PM ] : their
[ 06:04:38 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Can i chat with them?

Amused by the Horrid

Feb 02, 2011

I have no idea if this is a scam or not, only that it took me about 10 minutes to completely loose faith in it. I requested a demo in biology and asked what specifically causes the symptoms of malaria. The first answer I received was "malaria is caused by plasmodium vivax,"...which happens to be the strain of human malaria that is not deadly and significantly less well known than the strain that is (falciperum). The "tutor" went on to list the symptoms of malaria, after which the rep came back on and told me that the demo was over. Though I will give it to them that after I described my grievances, the rep offered to let me talk to another tutor, I would much rather just trust Wiki.

Cheyanne

Feb 01, 2011

Tutorvista is a SCAM. They charge too mucuhhh!!! :cry :( :sigh :roll :x :(

Student

Jan 27, 2011

I like tutorvista, you should pay by debit-card with no more money or remember to cancel yourself.

Tutoring they offer is gud.

Jan 26, 2011

After talking to a guy for 21 minutes, he is still advertising.

[ 11:00:44 PM ] Guest : . [Searched for: what is the energy emitted when a nucleus forms]
[ 11:00:54 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Hello
[ 11:01:03 PM ] : My name is Kroger
[ 11:01:11 PM ] : Let me know your grade and subject to help you better.
[ 11:01:22 PM ] Guest : AP Chemistry.
[ 11:02:16 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Okay
[ 11:02:31 PM ] : Are you in High school or college?
[ 11:02:49 PM ] Guest : High school.
[ 11:02:57 PM ] Acad Coordinator : OKay
[ 11:03:02 PM ] : Are you preparing for an upcoming test or assignment?
[ 11:03:12 PM ] Guest : Both.
[ 11:03:18 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Okay
[ 11:03:26 PM ] : Are you aware how our program work?
[ 11:03:37 PM ] Guest : Kind of.
[ 11:03:50 PM ] Acad Coordinator : Great
[ 11:04:07 PM ] : Let me explain how you will get benefit on the regular session
[ 11:04:17 PM ] : Is that okay with you?
[ 11:04:20 PM ] Guest : Okay.
[ 11:04:33 PM ] Acad Coordinator : We are on 24/7 service. So you can log in from any were at any time and get help.
[ 11:04:40 PM ] : Each session is for 35 minutes. You can take as many sessions in a day and its unlimited.
[ 11:04:54 PM ] : In Regular sessions our expert tutors will explain you step by step using the white board and chat box. .
[ 11:05:04 PM ] : All the sessions that you take with

White Guy

Jan 21, 2011

I am a student at tv from 2008. Tutorvista has improved a lot in quality as well as their policies. The key is to talk to them and get to know all the things upfront like when do I cancel etc. :x

1-20 of 187 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Tutor Vista.
Filing a new complaint about
×